Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Won't do that again!!

Have you ever heard about someone accidently injurying themselves and you think to yourself, "What a moron!" "How could they have done that?" I always did that when I heard about someone getting hurt using a table saw. I never could figure out how in the hell they could cut themselves using a table saw. It just didn't make any sense to me. I mean this is a very high speed piece of equipment, you have to be careful when you use it.
Well, it makes sense now!! I get it or should I say I got it?! Now I realize just how fast that blade turns and I am just a little slower to react than the saw. I know what you are saying. "What a moron!" But I have to tell you until the moment it happened I would have said the same thing. I just had to make this specific angle cut on a 3 foot long pice of hardwood. Of course the cut had to be length wise and of course it had to be on edge, so as I am pulling the board through the saw and pushing it with my other hand, I am watching very carefully. I realize it is not the best of conditions, and a table saw is probably not the best piece of equipment for this cut, but the table saw was out and I wanted to get the job done and I knew I could make it work. Well as I am pulling and pushing I looked from my pushing hand to my pulling had only for a moment to make sure the board was riding correctly and of course the board fell into the slot for the blade and since my thumb was what was applying the pressure on the board, it followed. Before I could glance back to see what had happened the board splintered in the blade and I got a nice thumbnail manicure. Needless to say it trimmed a little more than the nail and to top it off one of those lovely hardwood splinters ended up in my index finger. My response at this exact moment. "What a Moron!"
I inspected everything and figured out I was going to be fine, just feeling a little stupid (and lucky) and once I got the bleeding stopped realized the work I had done on the piece of wood was for not. I would have to start over again.
Now this proves that I am definately male and human. I started over again with another piece of wood and wouldn't you know it, I went through the same motions and made the same cuts using the same equipment. Now that's either persistance or stupidity!! I tend to lean towards persistance, after all I can't let an inanimate object like a table saw kick my ass. Can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment