Tuesday, August 4, 2009

No Moe No More

As parents we raise our kids and hope the job we have done prepares them for success in life and we hope that we have raised some one we would be proud to associate with.
Well coaching is very similar to parenting.
I have to say that with everything Team Idaho Powerlifting has going on this weekend, the live video stream at Bodybuilding.com followed by further filming at Gold's Gym for future video segments, I am not looking forward to this weekend actually ending. It will end a wonderful experience I have had the opportunity to be a part of. One of my first female lifters that has grown up in front of me will be leaving Idaho for the great state of Louisiana to train and finish college at Louisiana State University, Alexandria.
Amanda started lifting as a very young 14 year old freshman at Skyview high school. She was kind of a band type geek and played a little basketball, but wanted to try powerlifting so we welcomed her into our group. As a coach I was always looking for new lifting athletes and especially girls that were willing to take on a sport like powerlifting. She caught on rather quickly and developed a great sense of humor along the way which was basically a requirement when you are the only girl in a gym full of testosterone ladened boys. I have to admit, I fell in love with her desire and commitment to wanting to get stronger and better at the sport.
In what seems to be 5 very short years, Amanda has become Idaho's first 4 time high school state powerlifting champion, one of the first to set a National and American Record, the first to win the High School Varsity National Championships and Idaho's first Sub-Junior World Champion. This year she will return to the World Championships for the 3rd straight time. She has been able to visit France, South Africa and this year Brazil representing the USA at the IPF World Championships.
Amanda, I will miss you every time Team Idaho is in the gym training. I will miss you coming in late rushing to get caught up on squats. I will miss telling you to get deeper on your squats(That has become less often by the way), I will miss your smile and the way you bounce around getting ready to lift. I will miss reminding you to keep your grip tight on the bar during benches and keeping track of how long it takes you to finish a heavy deadlift. It has been a distinct pleasure of mine to have been able to coach you and be associated with you over the past 5 years. You are truly a beautiful young lady and a great powerlifter. I wish you all of the luck and success you can ever hope to achieve as you journey southward and I expect to continue to see you at national and international venues. You will always be close to my heart and I will always consider you one of my favorite lifters. I am very humbled to say I was your coach. You are some one I would be proud to associate with. Love you girl!!

1 comment:

  1. im not going to lie, im crying...
    mandy if you read this im really going to miss having you in the gym keeping us laughing with all your silly things you do. thanks for being such a great role model for me, i really do look up to you and what you have done in this sport. your a great lifter and im happy to say that i have gotten to know you. thanks for everything!
    good luck in lousiana! =D
    see you in brazil!
    love ya! -Kenz

    ReplyDelete